I love these green smoothies. They are such a great way to use up all the Kale in the garden and have a yummy treat with a nutritious punch. Here’s what I do:
- Wash the kale and separate the leaves from the stems.
- Lightly steam the leaves until they are slightly soft.
- Put the steamed kale in the blender with some of the cooking water and puree. I like to do quite a bit at a time and then freeze the extra puree in ice cube trays to pull out for easy smoothies anytime.
- Add frozen fruit. I have been using a frozen berry mix from Sam’s Club, but hopefully we will make it to a u-pick farm soon!
- Add milk or kefir and begin to blend. I usually start with a small amount and add more slowly through the opening in the lid. That was there is just enough for it all to blend.
You can also add in melted coconut oil (I use this kind – for healthy fat) and/or honey at this point. I have been leaving the honey out lately because I think it tastes fine without it.
Pour and enjoy!